1 1/2 cup Arborio rice
1/2 pound white button or portabello mushroom, thinly sliced
1/2 onion, finely chopped or 2 shallots diced
1 stick celery, finely sliced
1/2 cup Dry white wine
2 tbsp earth balance or any vegan butter
3 tbsp olive oil
3/4 can coconut milk
2-3 tbsp kalamansi juice
1 1/2 tbsp Harvest vegetable broth
4-5 cups of water
*If you are using liquid vegetable stock and not in powder form or bullion, use 5 cups of that instead of water.
Salt and pepper to taste. It’s best to use sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- In a pot over low heat, simmer the coconut milk for about 3 minutes then add in the vegetable bullion or powder. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Set aside. (If you are using liquid vegetable broth, don’t add it to the coconut milk. Heat the broth separately).
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add about two tbsp of olive oil and saute the mushroom until it’s tender. Remove the mushroom and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add another tbsp of olive oil, then add the butter.
- Once the butter has fully melted, add the onion and celery and saute for about a minute.
- Add the rice. Stir well to coat with oil.
- When the rice is slightly translucent, pour in the white wine. The mixture will produce a wonderful aroma!
- Once the wine is fully absorbed, add the coconut milk, then stir again.
- Once the coconut milk is absorbed, add a half cup of water stirring continuously. If you are using liquid broth, add this instead of water.
- Continue adding half cup of water (or liquid broth) at a time until the liquid is absorbed. Keep the process until the rice is soft but firm in the center or “al dente”. The risotto will be creamy but not mushy.
- Stir in the Kalamansi juice
- Transfer the mushroom to the mix
- Season with salt and pepper
- Garnish with chives or in my case, I used celery leaf
- The coconut milk produces a rich creamy flavor that cancels out the need for Parmesan cheese.
I’m proud to say that not only I successfully veganized this Italian favorite, I’ve also added a Filipino touch. Enjoy and happy cooking!
Recipe provided by ASTIG Vegan