Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Mocha Frosting
For the Chocolate Cupcakes:
3/4 cup sorghum flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup organic cane sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup warm coffee (not too hot)
1 tbsp Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 1/4 cup warm water
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and xantham gum in a medium-sized bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the coffee, Ener-G Replacer, olive oil, vanilla extract, and rice vinegar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat for 2-3 minutes until well-incorporated and smooth.
- Divide batter into cups and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Vegan Mocha Frosting:
8 tbsp vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
2-4 oz cold coffee
1 tsp bourbon vanilla
1 tsp instant espresso
4 cups confectioners sugar
- Beat the margarine in the bowl of an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add the coffee, vanilla, and and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the sugar and beat until smooth. If you want to further stiffen the frosting, add more confectioner's sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Chill the frosting for about an hour to help stiffen it further.
- Load frosting into a piping bag fit with a large star tip and decorate as desired.
Reposted with permission from Erica at Sweet Tooth.
Photo credit: Erica