Grapefruit Basil Sugar Cookies
Gluten-Free and Vegan
Makes 2 dozen
- 2/3 cup Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Egg substitute for 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. chunky applesauce
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. grapefruit zest
- 2 fresh basil leaves, very finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups potato starch
- 1 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks and sugar until fluffy. Add in egg substitute, applesauce, grapefruit juice, peel, basil and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients; mix to combine. Add to wet mixture; mix until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
- Using your hands, form batter into golf ball-sized shapes. Place on a baking sheet and then into the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; set aside to cool before serving.
Photo credit: Amie