This salad is fresh and tangy, thanks to the radishes, cilantro and lime, and a tad sweet from the corn and red bell peppers. The Aleppo pepper give it the requisite kick. And of course, with both quinoa and beans, this is a protein-packed dish.
Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
- 2 cups quinoa (recommend no-rinse variety)
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- ¼ cup thinly sliced spring red onion or scallions
- 5 radishes, sliced paper thin using a mandoline
- 1½ cups fresh corn (from about 2 ears)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes (optional but great!)
Combine the quinoa and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 12 to15 minutes, until you see the little white spiral “tail” appear on each kernel. The quinoa should be just tender, but still with a little crunch. Drain off any excess liquid. Cool.
Blanch the corn kernels in boiling water for one minute. Drain.
Combine the quinoa with all ingredients. Adjust salt and lime juice to taste, and serve. Can be served chilled or at room temperature.
Serves 6, or up to 12 if you are serving as a small side dish
Photo credit: Cathy