When Eileen Johnson took her beloved Jack Russell for his daily walk, little did she know that it would be his last. Six year old Diesel collapsed ten minutes after returning home to the village of Cross Hills, North Yorkshire and sadly died soon after.
Mrs. Johnson (talking to the Daily Mail) said, “We walk the fields five days a week and I can’t believe this has happened. He was a lovely, lively little thing. He had never been ill and then he died so suddenly as if someone just came in and shot him in front of my eyes.”
The local villagers have been rocked not only by Diesels death, but also another 12 dogs that have died after walking along the same route. In almost all of the cases, the dogs collapsed and died an agonizing death just minutes after walking along a tree lined footpath leading to fields and a lake, a popular destination with dog owners.
Sally Ramsden, an officer for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) said: “We are extremely concerned about this situation. People are taking their animals out along this footpath and within 20 minutes the dogs are suffering convulsions and dying. We don’t know what could be causing this, but we strongly suspect that the dogs may have been poisoned.”
Poisonous mushrooms, antifreeze and algae have been considered as the cause, and the footpath has been closed to the public while investigation continues.
Sally Ramsden concluded: “We cannot rule out the possibility that this is being done deliberately. These dogs have suffered horrendously and we desperately need to hear from anyone who has information about these incidents.”
Photo credit:cc:flickr.com/photos/joelogon (not a photo of the actual walking spot)