Fox stuck in watering can rescued after two days

Share |

After being spotted in a back garden of a bungalow located in Solihull, a town in the West Midlands of England, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) was called in to assist a fox who had inadvertently gotten his head stuck—for two days—in a plastic watering container.

"The fox was thrashing about in quite a distressed state when we got there,” said RSPCA Inspector Jonathan Ratcliffe. “I have no doubt that he would have died if we had not managed to get the watering can off, either from dehydration or from not seeing where he was going and so being killed by a car. My feeling is that there must have been a mouse or a frog or something at the bottom of the can – some sort of tasty snack which would have attracted him to put his head in. The watering can was covered in moss and mould and looked as if it was litter. This only goes to remind people of the dangers such discarded items can pose to wildlife.”

Upon release from the container, RSPCA officers examined the fox for signs of injury and despite being thirsty and hungry, the animal was found to be in good health and released back to the wild.

Daelyn Fortney | @daelyn
Daelyn is the co-founder & managing director of This Dish Is Veg. In addition to her work at TDIV, Daelyn homeschools her three daughters.

Photo credit: RSPCA

© 2015 This Dish Is Veg / This Dish Is Vegetarian - Reproduction without permission is prohibited. All Rights Reserved.
The opinions expressed by This Dish Is Veg contributors and commenters do not necessarily reflect the opinions of This Dish Is Veg.
Original template by Wpthemedesigner and Blogger Templates. Design customization by This Dish Is Veg/DF.