Carrot Ginger Soup
Yield: 6 servings (about one cup each)
- 1 onion
- 1 lb. carrots
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- Pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1 quart water plus 1 Tbs. light miso
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste (or white pepper)
- Chiffonade of basil or Thai basil for garnish
- Peel and coarsely dice onion.
- Peel and slice carrots.
- Peel and slice ginger (scrape skin off ginger with the dull back-side of a paring knife).
- Peel and chop garlic.
- Warm olive oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add onion, carrots and ginger.
- Sauté over medium heat until starting to soften.
- Add garlic, and continue to cook for a minute longer.
- Add cayenne, water and miso, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook, covered for 15 minutes.
- Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Continue to cook another 10 minutes, until very soft. Puree in the blender until smooth. Adjust seasonings and add more water if too thick.
- Garnish bowls of soup with a chiffonade of fresh basil or Thai basil, and serve.
Calories per serving 53
Calories from fat 16
Total fat 1.7 g
0 Mg. cholesterol
52 mg. sodium
k271 mg. potassium
Total carbohydrates 9.1 g
Dietary fiber 2.5 g
Sugars 4.4 g
Protein .9 g
Vit A 13%
Vic C 17%
Nutrition grade A
Low in saturated fat
High in dietary fiber, iron and potassium
Very high in vitamin A, B6 and C
Founded by mother-daughter duo Terry and Tracy Paulding, Paulding & Co. specializes in creating innovative event ideas for families and corporate entities through public cooking classes and exercises.