Eggplant Parmesan Casserole
Eggplant Parmesan is one of my comfort foods and I could probably eat it at least once a week for dinner if it wasn’t so chockfull of calories and fat. Plus, it can take a big chunk of your time. Fortunately, I was able to find a way around a lot of those calories by putting a little spin on the dish which also saves me a lot of time!
- 1 medium sized eggplant
- 2 cups of your favorite vegetarian marinara sauce
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese*
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese*
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2. Peel and slice the eggplant into about 1/4th inch thick disks. Lay the disks onto a greased cookie sheet and bake in the oven for ten minutes on each side.
3. Prepare a glass casserole dish by spreading a thin layer of marina sauce on the bottom. Put a layer of the eggplant disks over the marinara and top with half of the mozzarella and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
4. Repeat another sequence of layers and finish off by topping with parmesan cheese.
5. Cover with tinfoil to keep the cheese from overcooking and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is nice and bubbly.
6. Salt and pepper to taste
7. Serve with a side salad or asparagus and French bread.
Note: For a completely plant-based recipe, substitute with vegan cheese.
Cassie Corbett loves to experiment in her kitchen and is always looking for new ways to save time without sacrificing flavor. When she’s not wrestling with fondant icing or perfecting her hollandaise sauce, she writes for the cookware provider World Kitchen.
Photo credit: flickr.com/photos/heather_joy