Cookies and Cream Vegan Cupcakes
Vegan Decadence! Chocolate vegan cupcakes that will satisfy a chocoholic, with a creamy vanilla frosting that tastes better than the inside of an Oreo, topped with chopped cookies.
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 10-20 minutes
Yield: 12 standard size cupcakes
Allergens: Dairy Free, Egg Free, Soy Free
Almond milk - 1 cup, 'Original' flavor
Apple cider vinegar - 1 teaspoon
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Canola oil - 1/3 cup
Vanilla extract - 1-1/2 teaspoons
Vegan butter flavor - 1 teaspoon, optional
Flour - 1 cup, all-purpose
Cocoa powder - 1/3 cup
Baking soda - 3/4 teaspoon
Baking powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Shortening - 1/2 cup, non-hydrogenated, organic, eco-friendly (Spectrum brand)
Vanilla extract - 1/2 teaspoon
Vegan butter flavor - 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
Powdered sugar - 2 cups
Almond milk - 1 tablespoon if needed
Cookies - chocolate sandwich type with cream filling (Newman-O's or Oreos)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins - either with paper cupcake liners or oil if not using a nonstick tin.
2. Add almond milk and apple cider vinegar to a mixing bowl and whisk together. Set aside for a few minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir until mixed.
4. Add into the milk mixture bowl: sugar, canola oil, vanilla, and vegan butter flavoring. Beat with an electric mixer until foamy.
|Mini cookies and cream|
6. Add the remaining flour mixture into the milk mixture and beat with the electric mixer until there are no large lumps remaining.
7. Pour batter into the muffin tins, filling each cup to about 3/4.
8. Bake until the tops of the cupcakes are done (not wet looking). This will be about 9-14 minutes for mini cupcakes, and 18-20 minutes for standard cupcakes. When baking minis, keep a close watch on them because they bake quickly.
9. Remove from oven and set on a rack to cool.
10. While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting:
11. Use Spectrum brand vegetable shortening because this is non-hydrogenate, organic and sustainable. Add 1/2 cup to a mixing bowl.
12. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
13. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon of vegan 'butter' flavoring, and beat to mix.
14. Add one cup of vegan powdered sugar and beat until mixed.
15. Add the remaining cup of sugar and beat until mixed.
16. The mixture will look dry and crumbly. Continue beating until it is smooth. If necessary, add up to 1 tablespoon of almond milk until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
17. Frost the cupcakes.
18. Chop up about two cookies and sprinkle crumbs on top of the frosting.
|Jumbo cookies and cream|
Recipe provided by Donna Vincent of Vegan Living Today