For new vegans or those interested in going vegan, the best resource is of course, This Dish Is Veg! With tons of advice and recipes posted, it's a great website to follow to get the information you need.
When I first went vegetarian, and later vegan, I found several books to be extremely helpful. You can purchase these books for less on Amazon, and they are totally worth it. I am constantly flipping through these books and using them on a daily basis. They are the must-haves for anyone who has an interest in going vegan. Those are:
- "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism" by Melanie Joy, PhD. This helped me understand why we eat animals AND their byproducts.
- "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer. This book also helped me understand why we shouldn't eat animals and their byproducts, and it helped me to look at things in different ways.
- "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnuoin. This book is an easy read but gets to information quickly and tells you like it is. It tells you everything you need to know, and they don't hold back! Plus, it lightens the mood and makes you laugh.
- "The Kind Diet" By Alicia Silverstone. This book also provides recipes for every occasion, but I found the information to be most helpful.
- "The 30-Day Vegan Challenge" and "The Vegan Table" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Both books feature easy and delicious vegan recipes, but "The 30-Day Vegan Challenge" also provides a bunch of helpful information for the new vegan. I reference this book constantly. It is by far my favorite book and has been the most helpful. "The Vegan Table" provides recipes for every occasion, and is especially helpful for holidays.
- "The Happy Herbivore" and "The Everyday Happy Herbivore" by Lindsay S. Nixon. I absolutely love these books. Most of my weeknight meals come from these books, and they provide very low-cost and healthy recipes. These books are a must-have.
- "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. Hilarious and informative, this book provides many quick and easy recipes for the new vegan.
- "Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook" by Kim Barnouin. With many delicious recipes, it also provides a great deal of important information.
The journey toward veganism is so thrilling, but once you get there, it's even more exciting! The journey just gets better and better.
Photo credit: TDIV