No two vegans ever follow the same path to veganism. My strange and varied college career has so far landed me with a Master's degree in Interdisciplinary Film Studies, classical chef's training and a nearly completed second Master's in Food Security and Human Rights. So what does someone with these credentials do, especially when veganism is a major part of their life?
First, you listen to everyone you know asking you what you're planning to do with all of that. Then, you start making videos and podcasts about beginning veganism (Not that that stops anyone from asking what you're doing, but at least it gives you something to point to.)
Last month I launched The Starter Vegan, a series of podcasts and videocasts, bringing 36 years of experience with veganism together with professional chef's training to help new and seasoned vegans wade through the endless sea of misinformation, myth and muck that surrounds the transition to veganism.
In the podcasts, you'll hear from experts and novices on subjects as varied as how to choose an olive oil to an interview with Joe Cross of Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Each week we will cover a food item or test recipes or interview someone passionate about the vegan food revolution.
Coming up we'll have:
JL Fields of JL Goes Vegan, An Interview with PETA, a chocolate tasting, a cookie recipe tasting, An interview with Demetrius Bagley, owner of one of the largest vegan meetups in the world, interviews with The Vegan Society of the UK, and much more.
In the videocasts, you'll learn how to shop like a vegan, how to create a menu for the week, what to stock in your kitchen and how to prepare recipes that you can't get enough of.
So far, the videos have been market hauls and explanations of menu planning and fridge organization. Upcoming are a video on pesto making, hummus making, how to follow a recipe in your favorite cookbook, and how to find a cruelty free, environmentally friendly, decent tasting toothpaste.
I am always looking for interesting guests. So, if you have an interesting story to tell, a cause you're passionate about,or questions about veganism, please contact Fianna MacGregor at email@example.com.
I'm also looking for the following for upcoming shows:
2. Someone willing to taste test cookie recipes on air.
3. Someone to talk about vegan nutrition. You can either be an expert or a newbie with questions.
4. Someone who doesn’t know how to follow a recipe or who frequently has trouble with other people’s recipes.
5. Someone returning to veganism after stint on the dark side.
6. Someone who travels a lot.
7. Someone who’s the only vegan in a large family.
8. Someone passionate about the abolition of fur from fashion.
9. Someone or several people who have some knowledge about the Farm Bill and can explain.
10. Someone who knows nothing about the Farm Bill but wants to understand it.
11. Vegans from outside the US who are knowledgeable about the vegan landscape in their own countries.
12. Vegans with questions about cat behavior.
13. Newbies with specific questions about making the transition.
14. Someone who loves pomegranates and is willing to make some recipes using them.
15. Someone beginning a new running program and who is going to run their first 5k before the end of the year.
16. Someone with an urban farm. The city you live in doesn’t matter.
17. Someone who has combated a severe illness with a vegan diet.
18. Someone interested in water quality. Expert preferred.
Drop in for a listen to a podcast or to watch a video. You'll be glad you did.