Whenever a friend expresses interest in adopting a vegan diet I offer them a little bit of advice based on personal experience and then direct them to one of the following five books, depending on what best suits their personality. Aside from action, I have found very few things have as much impact as the written word.
1. For your BFF: Skinny Bitch This is the book that launched me into the vegan lifestyle. Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin tear the veil from your eyes to give you the whole truth behind your food, and the kick in the butt you need to revamp your eating habits.
2. For the hesitant but optimistic: The Kind Diet One of my favorite vegans, Alicia Silverstone, gently guides the reader towards a healthier diet and lifestyle. Offering an incredible array of delicious recipes emphasizing whole, organic foods for flirts, vegans, and superheroes alike, she proves you don’t have to take an all or nothing approach to your health.
3. For the quirky (not crunchy) hippie: Crazy Sexy Diet Kris Carr empowers her readers to take control of their lives and their health with a low-fat, low-glycemic vegetarian diet that will repair and renew your body and your health. Her 21-day cleanse is fun, informative, and sprinkled with encouragement. I guarantee after reading and putting into practice the chapter ‘Make Juice, Not War’ you’ll have an abundance of energy you never thought possible.
4. For the skeptic who always asks where you get your protein: The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health. It’s all right there in the title folks! T. Colin Campbell presents scientific evidence proving that a vegan diet can prevent and possibly even cure disease. Need I say more?
5. For the macho man with a monster appetite: The Engine 2 Diet Texan triathlete turned firefighter Rip Esselstyn created The Engine 2 Diet to help save a fellow firefighters life whose high cholesterol levels (344) put his life in danger. The entire firehouse followed Rip’s program and all saw fantastic results. He offers dozens of hearty, mouthwatering recipes that will fill you up and trim you down. Give Rip’s plan four weeks and you’ll forget all about the beef.
Photo credit: The China Study