Mercy For Animals, the Chicago-based non-profit animal advocacy organization, has released new footage from an undercover investigation that exposes the hidden horrors that occur at Sparboe Egg Farms, a McDonald's egg supplier.
The hidden camera footage reveals:
- Hens crammed into filthy wire cages with less space for each bird than a standard-sized sheet of paper to live her entire miserable life, unable to fully stretch her wings, or engage in most other natural behaviors
- Workers burning off the beaks of young chicks without any painkillers
- Rotted hens, decomposed beyond recognition as birds, left in cages with hens still laying eggs for human consumption
- A worker tormenting a bird by swinging her around in the air while her legs were caught in a grabbing device
- Chicks trapped and mangled in cage wire – others suffering from open wounds and torn beaks
- Live chicks thrown into plastic bags to be suffocated
“McDonald’s’ secret ingredient in every Egg McMuffin is horrific cruelty to animals,” said MFA’s Executive Director Nathan Runkle. “Consumers would lose their lunch if they saw how McDonald’s’ rotten egg suppliers crammed hens into tiny, filthy cages where they couldn’t freely spread their wings, burned off their beaks without painkillers, threw them, and broke their necks.”
For more information about the investigation visit www.McDonaldsCruelty.com.
UPDATE: It is being reported that because of this exposé, McDonald's has dropped Sparboe Egg as its supplier. It's important to note that previous undercover investigations prove that this is not an isolated incident, and these horrors occur on numerous factory farms across America.
Watch the video below. Warning: Disturbing Footage
Photo credit: MFA screenshot