A nice combination of pretty, red quinoa and brown rice. A side dollop of ginger hummus. Now that’s what I call a fabulous dish. Wouldn’t ya say so yourself?
It’s pretty, isn’t it? Kinda reminds me of confetti. But without the whole party. Well, it’s a party in my kitchen if that counts. Does it? Well, either way I had my own lil’ party making it. And I’m sure you will too.
Lemon Coconut Quinoa with Ginger Hummus
Gluten-Free and Vegan
- 1 cup red quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked and cooled
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 Tbsp. fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and mashed
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- In a large serving bowl, combine cooked quinoa and brown rice. Add lemon juice, zest, coconut flakes, dill, tomato and onion; gently toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, combine mashed avocado, chickpeas, vinegar, cinnamon, sea salt and ginger. Using an electric mixer, whip mixture until it forms stiff peaks. Add sesame seeds; mix well to combine.
- Serve quinoa mixture at room temperature with a side dollop of ginger hummus.
Photo credit: Amie