Roasted Fresh Tomato Soup
- 4-5 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes, sliced in half
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 large shallots, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 large handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 425. Toss the tomatoes, garlic and shallots with the olive oil. Place on a baking sheet, with the tomatoes cut side up. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Transfer the tomatoes, garlic and shallots (along with any accumulated juices) to a large saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree in a blender or using an immersion blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.