The summer is beginning to wind down but it’s never too late to take a vacation. And if you plan on taking your four legged companion, or two, on that much-needed break from everyday life, dogfriendly.com has you covered.
The dog owner travel guide website has revealed the top ten pet-friendliest vacation cities in the United States and thankfully the list is quite diverse with locations spread throughout the nation.
According to dogfriendly.com the following cities represent the ten best locations that offer pet-friendly accommodations, transportation, beaches, park, attractions, stores and dining:
1. Portland, Oreg.- Home to the famous and dog-friendly Rose Gardens and the Lucky Lab
2. Chicago - Visit the Navy Pier, dine in elegance, cruise on a pet-friendly tour boat or walk the parks of the city.
3. San Diego - The country's best dog beaches and trails and world class pet-friendly shopping centers.
4. Seattle - Take public transportation with your leashed dog. Many pet-friendly venues in a dog-friendly city.
5. Philadelphia - Get a famous cheese steak. See historic early American sites and stay in a downtown luxurious hotel.
6. Minneapolis - Great hiking trails and parks, pet-friendly dining. A pet-friendly atmosphere throughout.
7. Austin - Dog-Friendly parks. Outdoor cafes. Take tours and see the sites. See the Zilker Gardens and the Congress Street bats.
8. Alexandria/ Washington D.C. - See the capital's sites, walk in charming Old Town, take a dog cruise on the Potomac.
9. New York - Luxury hotels welcome dogs, Central park beckons, off-leash parks everywhere. Shop the famous stores with your dog.
10. Indianapolis - Many historical sites, Nature preserves, trails and parks. Many of the cities tourist sites can be viewed with a dog.
Honorable mentions included Charlotte, Dallas, Nashville, Orlando and Raleigh.