Race horses perish in fire caused by flicked cigarette butt

Share |

Six beautiful young thoroughbred horses were burned alive all because of a flicked cigarette butt.

The trailer that contained the race horses was on its way to the Belmont Park racetrack in New York, when a North Carolina state trooper pulled over the tractor-trailer after noticing smoke coming from inside.

All six race horses were trapped inside while the hay ignited after a passing motorist had flicked a cigarette butt out their window, flying into the trailer, causing the fire.

The driver and police attempted to remove the horses from the trailer but watched helplessly as all six of the distressed horses died.

There are still no leads on the person who flicked the cigarette butt.

Kelly Beth | @veganbotanicals
Kelly Beth is a smiley vegan herbalist and wanderer, and currently resides in Boulder, Colorado with her fiancé and kitty (kitty face). She created twig & leaf botanicals, a vegan & organic herbal apothecary 3 years ago to bring healthy, plant-based alternatives to mainstream medicine and home care. Follow Kelly Beth on her blog and Facebook.

Photo credit:cc:flickr.com/photos/superfantastic

© 2015 This Dish Is Veg / This Dish Is Vegetarian - Reproduction without permission is prohibited. All Rights Reserved.
The opinions expressed by This Dish Is Veg contributors and commenters do not necessarily reflect the opinions of This Dish Is Veg.
Original template by Wpthemedesigner and Blogger Templates. Design customization by This Dish Is Veg/DF.