Sopapillas are a Spanish pastry that are usually deep-fried and sprinkled with brown sugar & honey. Being a vegan, and also not having a deep-fryer, I used our Fondue set (which was awesome) and agave nectar. This recipe makes 2 dozen.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Spectrum organic vegan shortening
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 quarts of oil for frying
1. Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening. Stir in water & mix until the dough is smooth. Cover and let mixture stand for about 20 minutes.
2. On floured board, roll dough mixture flat to 1/8—1/4 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch triangles or squares, re-rolling dough until it is all gone.
3. Heat your oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees & fry until golden brown on both sides.
4. Drain on paper towel & serve with brown sugar and/or agave nectar.
5. Eat & say "Yum" a lot!
Photo credit: Kelly Beth