The first time I made these, I made 4 batches. They’re so unbelievably yummy! We prefer them for breakfast.
This recipe makes about 9 muffins, which I’ve found to be the perfect amount.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons earth balance vegan butter—cold & chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives or dried (if using dried, put in a separate bowl & dribble water over them to enliven them a bit & gently squeeze out excess water)
- 1 Cup Galaxy Nutritional Foods Rice shreds (cheddar flavor)
- ½ Cup milk of your choice
- *a pinch of tarragon tastes lovely in these, but it’s not necessary.
1. Preheat your oven (I don’t because I’m at a higher elevation) to 350 F
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder & salt. Then, take your chopped cold butter & work it into the flour mixture with your fingers, squishing & mixing.
3. Add your chives, cheese & milk & mix well.
4. Divvy your batter into well-greased muffin tins or use cupcake liners.
5. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are golden. They will feel squishy because of the cheese, so don’t overcook them!
6. Eat & Enjoy!
Photo credit: Kelly Beth