Paul McCartney's 'India Vegetarian Day' receives support from Hindus

Share |

Recently it was reported that Sir Paul McCartney had penned a letter to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh requesting India declare a national Vegetarian Day in an effort to celebrate a meat-free lifestyle and compassion toward animals.

The former Beatle wrote, “Such a declaration would save countless animals, reduce the environmental devastation caused by the meat industry and help participants clear their arteries and their consciences. It would be a celebration of life – all life.”

McCartney’s request quickly won support from the world's leading Hindu organization, Universal Society of Hinduism.

"We, as Hindus, promote strict vegetarianism insisting on not harming living creatures and renouncing animal slaughter and meat eating,” said Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, a representative of the organization. "Eating less meat would help the environment and more celebrities should come out in support of staying away from meat, thus contributing to a healthier world."

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 42% of households in India are vegetarian and refrain from eating fish, meat, or eggs. The remaining 58% are less strict vegetarians or non-vegetarian.

Daelyn Fortney | @daelyn | email
Daelyn is the co-founder and managing director of the animal rights and eco-friendly news source, This Dish Is Veg. In addition to her work at TDIV, Daelyn homeschools her three daughters.

Photo credit: cc:

© 2015 This Dish Is Veg / This Dish Is Vegetarian - Reproduction without permission is prohibited. All Rights Reserved.
The opinions expressed by This Dish Is Veg contributors and commenters do not necessarily reflect the opinions of This Dish Is Veg.
Original template by Wpthemedesigner and Blogger Templates. Design customization by This Dish Is Veg/DF.