For those who try to shop with a conscience it can be difficult to determine what products are animal friendly in boutiques and department stores. Luckily, you can make compassionate shopping a cinch by heading over to the Vegan Etsy site, the online community of vegan designers whose motto is “We Read Ingredients."
The site offers everything from jewelry to housewares, artwork, journals, beauty products and even food and it is all cruelty free. The prices are also super affordable since the designers want to help out those who have been hit hard by the economy. Watch out though, while doing research for this story I ended up buying a pair of earrings and some hand lotion for myself. (That’s all I’m going to own up to anyway!)
An added bonus, many of the designers donate some of their profits to animal charities. Here are five I found that sell lovely and unique items and contribute part of their sales to good causes, but there are many more. All of these sellers can be found at: www.etsy.com/shop/VeganEtsy.
- Starrlight Jewelry sells gothic Victorian jewelry and uses the proceeds to help orphan, stray, disabled and feral felines on the island of Hawaii. Starr, the designer, is working toward starting a nonprofit cat sanctuary.
- Jodi and Dan from This Is It! Creations! offers ecofriendly journals, cards and jewelry and donate 5% of their profits to animal welfare groups.
- Johnson Family Zoo sells handcrafted reusable produce bags, and donates 10% of profits to Friends of Unwanted Rabbits, a rescue organization that finds homes for abandoned and neglected rabbits.
- DaisyWares sells jewelry and bath and body products and donates 10% of sales to The Animal Place in Vacaville, California.
- Neva Jewelry and Art will donate 50% of all earring sales this week to Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary in Poolesville, Maryland.
The best part, you can shop from the comfort of your home, and avoid getting trampled at the mall this year. So head on over to the Vegan Etsy stores and add a little extra compassion to your gift giving this season.
Photo credit: screen capture Vegan Etsy