This year, shelters nationwide will be recognized November 7th - 13th.
In 1996, The HSUS launched National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week. This campaign was designed to acknowledge and promote the invaluable role shelters play in their communities and to increase public awareness of animal welfare issues and shelter services. Statistics show there are 3500 animals shelters nationwide with 6-8 million animals waiting for adoption. On average only one half of these animals are adopted.
Below are some ways you can get involved:
- Adopt a pet. Adoptable pets available at the local shelter are online at theshelterpetproject.org.
- Become a fan on Facebook.
- Volunteer. Helping animals at the shelter can be an incredibly rewarding experience.
- Donate supplies. Shelters are often in need of towels, toys, and other supplies for the animals – and collect needed items from family, friends and colleagues.
- Share a downloadable web banner.
Now it’s even easier to find a new addition to your home with web pages like petfinder. They list pictures and stories of available pets that are available for adoption. I personally have adopted pets from the site.
Remember supporting local animal shelters also sends a message to puppy mills across the country.For more ideas on how to support the work of a local shelter during National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week, visit humanesociety.org/sheltersrock.
Photo credit: cc: flickr.com/photos/pollyann