Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
2 cups spelt flour
1/2 cup Sucanat
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup poppy seeds
zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup nondairy milk
1/4 cup sunflower or canola oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Grind the Sucanat briefly in a spice or coffee grinder. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, Sucanat, baking powder, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds and lemon zest.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, nondairy milk, oil and vanilla extract.
3. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and mix just until no large clumps remain. Don't overmix.
4. Spoon the batter into an oiled muffin pan, filling each muffin cup almost to the top. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar or Sucanat if desired.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Let cool for about 10 minutes before carefully transferring the muffins to a cooling rack.
Recipe submitted by Nicole at A Dash Of Compassion.
Receive our weekly newsletter to get a sneak peek at upcoming articles, special giveaways, and behind-the-scenes information. We do not sell, spam, or share your email address. Click here to sign up.
Photo Credit: Nicole